Thursday 31 May 2012

Ice cream - without a machine

I made ice cream without an ice cream machine.

I used a bowl, a whisk, a rubber spatula and a can opener (low tech version).

It is good!  Rich and good!

Coconut, Brown Sugar and Vanilla Ice Cream Without A Machine
Long name, amazing results (TM?)
invented by moi!
1 can (400ml) coconut milk (I used the red label of Thai Cuisine, it was fatty and mostly solid so I warmed it in said bowl for 30 seconds so I could stir it easily)
100 ml whipping cream (not whipped)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
dash salt
- combine all in bowl, stir very well to help dissolve sugar
- put in freezer and stir well, break up crystals, every 2 two hours.  This batch took 7 hours in the freezer above my fridge.
- when frozen completely, transfer to a container with a cover and keep in freezer

IDEAS?!  Well!  You could drizzle melted dark or semi sweet chocolate over it before a final stir, there's some Italian name for that that is escaping me at this moment.

Flavour ideas could be limitless though I haven't tried anything else yet, this is my first attempt EVAH!  Well, there was this one time, I made ice cream with my Mum in ziploc baggies.  Ice and salt were involved...

You know I'm going to find a way to incorporate peanut butter and chocolate in short order!

Tell me what you'd try in your own ice cream?

No comments:

Post a Comment