|Linquine alfredo with shrimp.|
Quick and delightful.
I based it on a recipe I found in my handed-down edition of Janet and Greta Podleski's Looneyspoons cookbook. The cover is falling off and the pages have been splattered but I refer to it often. This version is not quite as low-fat as theirs but that's what I do.
based on a recipe from Looneyspoons
1 lb linguine, fettuccine, penne rigate or any pasta that will cup the sauce nicely
2 strips bacon, cut into tiny pieces
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (I love my microplane)
1 1/2 c 2% milk
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
1/3 c cheddar cheese, medium, grated
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1 lb cooked shrimp, tails removed, thawed
1/4 c sour cream
3/4 c green peas, thawed or canned
- cook pasta, drain and return to pot with sauce
- while pasta is cooking, prepare sauce.
- cook bacon to very crisp but not burnt, add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- mix milk and flour together to smooth. Add to garlic. Increase heat to med-high, cook and stir until thick and bubbly 4-5 minutes.
- reduce heat to low, add cheese, basil, S&P, cook 1 more minute to melt cheese. Add shrimp, sour cream and peas. Heat through.
- add pasta to the sauce and toss to coat.
- best served immediately, but leftovers are good too.
Variations: you can add a can or two of tuna, skinless salmon or chopped chicken.