I made stove top baked beans and a molasses quick bread for lunch today.
The beans were another story altogether, I need help with baked beans. I love them so, but, alas, have failed in every attempt to make them, but I do keep trying. I get points for that.
The bread was a winner and a do-again-er.
This is the recipe I used. Next time, I will bake it for the full hour.
Quick Whole Wheat and Molasses Bread
directly from The New York Times' diners journal
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 2/3 cups plain yogurt *
1/2 cup molasses
- mix dry, mix wet in separate bowls. Combine only to wet.
- pour into greased bread pan (9x5 or so)
- bake at 325F for 45mins to 1 hour, when toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean
- let cool in pan 15 mins, turn out on board to cool almost completely before you cut into it, try to wait, it's worth it!
* or use buttermilk, or sour your own room temp milk with 2 Tbsp white vinegar and milk to equal 1 2/3 cups
There's a "lighter" (in texture) version here that I will try next time, even though I liked this one very much.
Now to work on those baked beans... can you help me? My biggest problem is they are hard, but even the finished flavour and texture is not quite right. I just cannot capture the feeling of Québec maple sugar shack baked beans. Now THEY know beans.