Friday 16 March 2012

Chocolate Fudge Pie 2

I've made it yet again and this time I took photos.  This is a follow-up to this post.

This chocolate fudge pie was made with silken tofu and a hot chocolate cookie base.
Miam miam.
It was so rich.  I served it drenched in coconut milk but those photos were not appetizing so I chose to omit them.  A tiny slice is all you need and you can go back for more if you need it.


This would be awesome (kick-ass) with any of the following additions: toasted coconut on top, a couple homemade chocolate chips on top, orange zest in the filling, a teaspoon of ground coffee in the filling, perhaps a chocolate dipped coffee bean on each slice.  Really, the possibilites are endless - whatever goes with chocolate!  Just remember the pie is rich so keep your additions light, for example I don't think I'd add peanut butter even though I adore this combination, it's just too much.

See, I'm not much of a berry or lemon kinda girl and I'm not one to decorate the top.  BUT, if I were serving this at a dinner with friends (and I would serve this, it's so good) I'd decorate the top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream - it'd be really good with real whipped cream sweetened slightly with real maple syrup.


Okay, here's how I did it this afternoon. 

First, I made up two batches in little bowls of this chocolate bar and just left it in the bowls (I'll be reheating it later to melt again).

Then, I made the base for the pie following this recipe drizzling in chocolate bar mix in place of chocolate chips (this is what I make my chocolate chips with).  I pressed it into a pie plate.  I baked it at 350F for 9 minutes and let it cool completely.

I blended the filling and drizzled in the second batch of chocolate bar mix I had ready and reheated to melt (30 seconds in my microwave).  This is where you can add in whatever you like, though I highly recommend it plain as the recipe is.  Mmmmmm.


I poured the filling into the cooled crust and refrigerated the whole thing for 3 hours and it was magnificent.  It cut well, stood up on the plate well and the base was chewy.  Mother-in-law-type-person (I'm not married, so she's my boyfriend's mother - geez that sounds casual) really liked it and I could say I never even took out the sugar to make it as the sweetener I used was honey.

Chocolate Fudge Piedirectly from CCK
FILLING
2 1/2 chocolate bars or 1 1/3 c choc chips (you chocolate mix as described above)
1 pkg tofu, anywhere from silken to firm
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk (cow, soy or almond)
dash salt
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (honey, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, sugar...)
- melt chocolate (you can microwave if you want)
- throw it all in food processor (or magic bullet or vita-mix)
- give 'er to smooth
- pour into prepared crust if desired or straight into pie pan
- chill, firms as it cools and continues to set the longer you wait (hours are good, overnight works)

CRUST
(Hot Chocolate Cookies)
1 cup flour (120g)
2 Tbsp cocoa
packed 1/4 cup pitted dates (45g)
scant 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips (or your mix of chocolate as prepared above)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3-4 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
- in a food processor, blend first five ingredients until dates are finely pulverized.
- in a separate bowl, melt your chocolate mix and combine vanilla, oil.
- pour the dry ingredients, as well as the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, into the wet. Stir until evenly mixed, making sure to break up any big clumps. It’ll seem dry at first, but keep stirring until it all looks dark and shiny. Press into pie plate and bake at 350F for 9 minutes. (Take out when still undercooked, as these continue to cook as they cool.)  Note: if your dough is too dry to stick together, use a bit more oil to compensate.

No comments:

Post a Comment