Tuesday 20 March 2012

Magic shell x2

Seeing as how it's such a warm day here and a few more hot ones in the forecast (in March?! In Canada?!  yeah, I KNOW!) I figure there'll be a lot of ice cream consumed in the next few days.  Here are just a couple ideas for toppings.

I'm partial (okay, I could be addicted if it weren't so darn expensive) to a certain chain of ice cream shops that have two letters in their name for their dipped cones.  I LOVE the dip.  I order sundaes from them with this magic that hardens into a buttery, chocolatey mass in the cup!  Ahhh.  OR ask them to double-dip it, some adventurous (or new) workers will do it.  Yummy yummy.





You can make this sauce that hardens AT HOME!  For WAY LESS!

Below are a chocolate recipe and a peanut butter one.

Now, keep in mind that once you make and enjoy the shell recipes here, there's no reason at all why you can't experiment with add-ins.  Make your next batch with a teaspoon of an extract (mint, almond, anise, coconut come to mind) or your favourite liqueur (Kahlua, Bailey's - for an adult version).

If you haven't bought coconut oil yet, what are you waiting for?!  THIS is a good reason, if I may say so.  Here is another one, and another and a really good reason.  But if you just don't want to, you can make this with butter in the same ratio, just store it in the fridge.

This makes great hostess gifts too.

The ratio is easy, 3:1.  You'll use 3 parts chocolate to 1 part coconut oil or butter (or a mix of both, totalling 1 part).

Chocolate Magic Shell
1 cup favourite chocolate (can be chips or bars broken up, whatever you eat by the handful)
1/3 cup coconut oil (or butter or a mix of the two)
- melt in a glass jar, either in the microwave in 20 second intervals and stir to melted or on the stovetop in a pot of hot water.  If you're adding extract or liqueur, do it after it is melted.
- pour over (frozen) ice cream, wait a few seconds and enjoy.  Crack! (that's the sound it makes)

Chocolate crackle sauce or "Magic Shell" poured and hardened....
 
...CRRACKKK'ed
Peanut Butter Shell
from Chocolate Covered Katie
1 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp coconut oil
- melt and enjoy!

** You can play with and adjust the proportions to better suit your tastes, but these are great starting points.

Summer is coming!  What are some of the things you are most looking forward to this year?  Have any plans yet?  Maybe just dreams?

2 comments:

  1. Rana, any particular brand of coconut oil you recommend? I also want to buy some nut oils, like walnut etc.

    I have some wonderful summer plans. I'm spending over 3 weeks in good old JR. Really looking forward to it. Hopefully you will be there for part of it. Maybe we can cook together.

    I am also looking forward to our garden and hope we have better weather than last summer. I plan to plant a lot of herbs this summer, as well as our usual array of vegetables. I anticipate a lot of canning, freezing and dehydrating this fall. Particularily if we have lots of tomatoes, apples and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sounds so yummy! We will be in JR the weekend of Aug 4th and I assume a few days before and after that.

      I am ready to buy various nut oils one at a time as recipes and ideas come up that I want to try. So far, I've been using is Omega Nutrition organic coconut oil because it's what is stocked in my grocery store, a no-brainer.

      We will be having a bigger garden this year as well, each year we've been here it's grown; in square footage as well as with more efficient planting.

      Delete