Tuesday 8 May 2012

Lemon Squares - olde fashioned

It's a sure sign you are getting old when the treats from your childhood cookbooks are now referred to as "olde fashioned".

This is one of those recipes.

I am old. 

Welcome to my world.

These are old school butter lemon squares with a shortbread crust and a smooth, sweet lemon-y topping with a bit of a crispiness to the top.  I got this recipe straight out of my Betty Crocker's Cookbook, you know, the orange one?  My version is bound not in a binder though but is a hardcover.  Well, la-di-da.
 
You know you want it.  I know I do.  Right now.


They're a fabulous juxtaposition between the sweet cookie base and the slightly sour but still sweet lemon topping.  Om nom nom nom nom nom nom

Lemon Squares
p140 twenty-fifth printing 1975 of Betty Crocker's Cookbook
1 c flour
1/2 butter, softened
1/4 c icing sugar
2 eggs
1 c granulated sugar (white sugar)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbsp lemon juice (preferably fresh squeezed and organic but I've used bottled juice just fine)
- Heat oven to 350F.  Mix thoroughly flour, butter and icing sugar.  Press into ungreased square 8x8x2 pan, building up a 1/2" edge.  Bake 20 minutes.
- Beat remaining ingredients about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy.  Pour over hot crust.  Bake about 25 minutes or just until no imprint remains when touched lightly in centre.  Cool; cut into squares.  Makes 25 squares.

Easy peasy, they say.

Working with a pastry cutter to make the shortbread cookie base.

Pressed into the pan and ready to bake.


These are awesome! They may cause heartburn if you're prone to that when eating too many rich desserts, so Dad, you've been warned.

4 comments:

  1. I'll have to try these some time! My mom has the old Betty Crocker cookbook and it's in tatters now from loving use. I have the newer, binder bound one, which doesn't have some go-to recipes that I love; not impressed about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aisy! My Mum asked friends of hers for copies of the cookbook for myself and I think one of my sisters got one too. Mine was in impeccable condition when I received it. It's still in pretty good shape but my mother's was barely held together anymore!

      Delete
  2. Lemon squares ate just my favorite. I love them so much! These ones look divine.

    ReplyDelete