Thursday 17 May 2012

Homemade chocolate chips (or carob)

I've made my own chocolate chips a few times now and enjoy them.

Here is where I found my inspiration.  Here is another site to read if you're in the mood.


The ingredients for homemade chocolate chips.
Homemade chocolate chips

1 cup cocoa (slighly rounded, just not flat) or carob powder
1/2 cup coconut oil or butter (or a combination of both)
1/3 cup granulated sugar (white sugar) (more or less to taste)
quick dash salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
- in a glass bowl over a small pot of simmering water, melt all the ingredients together. It takes about 10-15 minutes of heating and a few stirs to let the sugar dissolve completely but this is important for both texture and flavour of the final product.
- once sugar is dissolved, pour into a parchment lined 9x9 dish and let harden either in the fridge or freezer. Remove and hack at it with a knife until you get the size pieces you want.

You can also use 1/4 tsp peppermint extract if you are looking for mint chips.








Store these in the freezer or fridge.

They can be used in a trail mix, though be aware they will probably melt before a commercially prepared product, whether that is a good or bad thing is up to you to decide.

1 comment:

  1. I never considered making my own chips. That would be a good use of the coconut oil I am going to win. :)

    ReplyDelete