Thursday 10 May 2012

Another banana bread

Tonight, I was in the mood for Tostitos.  So I made banana bread.  I'm not sure how one led to the other but let's keep going. 



I made a recipe based on Chocolate Covered Katie's Coconut Breakfast Cake.  It is neither breakfast time nor do I think of it as a cake nor did I go with the coconut theme.  I used her substitution idea of bananas for pineapple this time.  I'm going to make it again going with the pina colada idea.


Here's what I did to achieve my evening bliss.

Banana Bread with coconut milk
based on CCK
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs (or flax egg substitute)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 bananas very ripe and brown speckly, mashed
1/2 cup full-fat canned coconut milk **
- mix dry
- mix wet (add brown sugar here)
- combine just to moisten dry ingredients
- grease bread loaf pan, bake at 350F 35-42 minutes.  Knife inserted in centre should come out clean when done, don't underbake, if anything go over by two minutes.
- remove from pan onto cooling rack as soon as you can so the crust stays nice.  Best to let it cool before you cut it, or at least almost cool.
** I used Thai Kitchen (red label) and when I opened it there was this beautiful thick cream at the top and that's what I used in the banana loaf.  Then, when it was (barely) cool enough to eat, I slathered this thick coconut cream straight out of the can right on top of a piece of banana bread and it was VERY GOOD.

You could use 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained, in place of the mashed banana

You can add in some optional ingredients: chopped macadamia nuts or walnuts, shredded coconut, rum extract.






See the can I used?  Yummy.

This is a blob of the coconut cream straight outta the can and on a
piece of slightly warm banana bread, it melts just a bit.
This is going in the freezer for lunches next week.  Well, whatever's left after I go have another piece right now.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the coconut cream, especially :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you read my blog. Hi Katie!

      Delete
  2. I love banana bread but hate bananas, such a conflict. I have to rely on other to gift it to me.

    ReplyDelete