Wednesday 9 May 2012

Chocolate fudge

I made homemade ice cream and had some sweetened condensed milk leftover and the first thing that came to my mind was to make fudge. 

You can't really see just how yummy it was, but, it WAS.

So I opened up my Company's Coming Gifts From the Kitchen cookbook and found a recipe for an after-dinner mint with the ingredients I wanted to use. 

There's a story behind this cookbook.  It has traveled further West across Canada than I have.  How can that be, you ask?  Well.  My mother gave it to me for my very first Mother's Day.  I lent it out and I lost track of it, I wasn't sure where it was for a few years.  Then, out of the blue, I got it back with a beautiful note written on cute cardstock from a dear friend - which I've kept tucked inside the book.  She'd borrowed it, then liked it so much she just kept "forgetting" to return it to me.  Then she moved away and it went with her.  Every time she opened it up to use it she felt guilty.  That's not good karma.  The book is about making and giving to others, yet each time she opened it she felt guilt and remorse.  Not a great way to start any recipe I think.  It needs to come from the heart, not the pit of your stomach.  Meanwhile, I'd replaced my book with another copy so now I have two of these wonderful books.  I don't need two so I'm sending this one back to her with love and she can feel really good about using it and can share that good feeling with all the recipes that come out if it for her circle of friends.


Here's the recipe that you can share with love with your friends.

Fudgey Chocolate Mints
from Company's Coming Gifts From the Kitchen, Jean Paré Special Occasion Series
1 cup milk chocolate chips
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1-11 oz can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp peppermint flavouring
- grease 9x9 with butter
- combine all in small pot.  Heat on medium-low, stirring often, just to melt chips and mix is smooth.
- pour into pan.  cool.  Makes scant 2 lbs, cuts into 144 mints (12x12) 
** I used 3 cups of semi-sweet only and it was gooo-ooood.

Cuts into way less than 144 if I'm eating the fudge.  Or maybe I just eat many pieces at once... Mmmmm  You can also drop this mixture by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper for individual candies (but that's way too much work).  If it hardens, soften on the stovetop again.

What's your address again, friend?

8 comments:

  1. well that makes two of your cookbooks that moved West. I had your Betty Crocker and gave it back (yes, too, felt badly but not as bad as your friend)
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that cookbook & am going to try this recipe. I love the Creme du Sucre recipe from it...yummy¡!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you made me all misty. I'm so sorry I stole it for so long. I honestly never meant too. After I had children I realized how important mothers day was and I couldn't bear to keep it.
    And you made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to give it back to you. Have you moved since you sent it back to me? I still have the card and envelope you sent to me, so can I return it to that address? I have another copy.

      Delete
  4. The peppermint is a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sybaritica! WElcome! How did you find me? 100% curiousity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HIII MOM IM ALL GROWN UP NOW AND WE STILL SHARE A BIRTHDAY! LOVE YOU GIRLY

    ReplyDelete