Wednesday 14 March 2012

Chocolate Fudge Pie

Not sure why I've taken so long to post this, but I will keep you waiting no longer.

Chocolate.    Fudge.    Pie.

Need I say more?

Well, you know me, I will anyway.

A very early picture for me, choc pie with PB cookie crust.

On my quest to make food from food that is real, Chocolate Covered Katie has my attention.  She takes the time (makes the time / has the time?  Her blog is her job.) to experiment, which I do not.  I am great at this point in my life of recreating someone else's discoveries.  That's what I'm good at.  SHE is good at finding what works.  She is using real ingredients you probably have in your house right now or at least know where to find at the grocery store.  I like that.  I also like that it is all food and is real.

Take this pie, for example.  It's definitely dessert.  It can be an elegant, mousse-like pie or a fudgey, stand-up-on-your plate and chew it kinda pie.  She has played with it a bit and suggests a few flavours that work. 

I have made it twice and enjoyed it both times.  I have eaten it as she may, without a crust once and the second time used peanut butter cookies crushed up with a bit of melted butter.  She does recommend one of her cookie recipes as a crust which I have eaten all by itself, but not containing a pie filling (it is delish, by the way, you should try that too).  I recommend using her Hot Chocolate Cookie as a crust, that's what I'll do next and I'll report back to you.

I have made it both times using firm tofu and have silken in my fridge now thinking I'd make smoothies but maybe I'll just make another pie tomorrow.

Chocolate Fudge Pie
directly from CCK
2 1/2 chocolate bars or 1 1/3 c choc chips
1 pkg tofu, anywhere from silken to firm
1 tsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp milk (cow, soy or almond)
dash salt
2-3 Tbsp sweetener (honey, agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, sugar...)
- melt chocolate (you can microwave if you want)
- throw it all in food processor (or magic bullet or vita-mix)
- give 'er to smooth
- pour into prepared crust if desired or straight into pie pan
- chill, firms as it cools and continues to set the longer you wait (hours are good, overnight works)









You know, her pictures are much better, go check them out.

CRUSTS
So she suggests a couple. 
This one looks awesome.  My dinky little food processor can't handle the two cans of beans in this recipe.  I cannot wait to try it though, I keep thinking about it.  I'd halve the recipe for a pie crust.
This one is great all on it's own as a snack, I can see how it may work as a crust.  You don't bake it, just blend the ingredients and press into a pan.  MMmmmm.  Roll into balls and stick them in yer mouth.  Or your kids' mouths, it'll keep them quiet for a good... 3 minutes.
This one makes awesome cookies.  I just love them!  I don't see why it wouldn't make a great pie crust.  Throw together the dough, press it into a pan and bake for about 8 minutes.  Cool.  Fill. Eat.

TOPPING
Well, there's the obvious chocolate sauce.  There's this vegan cool whip which I'm going to try tomorrow (just too anxious to share the pie recipe with you, but I'll tell you how it goes!).  Melt some peanut butter and drizzle it over.  A raspberry coulis.  Shave chocolate on top.  You could, of course, use all of them and make up your own!

Note:  There is a follow-up post to this one here.

No comments:

Post a Comment