Monday 12 March 2012

Chocolate peanut butter cups

Oh how I have missed you so, blog audience.  Just because I've skipped a few days does not mean I'm not thinking of you, rest assured you are always on my mind (I should write a song - oh, wait!  Someone already has I see!).

So, these chocolates are awesome! 

 Aren't we pretty?

I wanted to post after I played with the recipe a bit with add-ins but this is just delaying me posting at all, it seems.  I can wait no longer and perhaps you will toy with it and tell me what you did and what worked and what didn't.  Or maybe you'll just make them as I post here and love them and maybe you'll check back someday soon 'cuz you want to make them again and you will come here for the recipe and maybe, just maybe, there'll be a big edit at the bottom of the post and you will see more of my fun in the kitchen.

Still safely in their papers.

Sigh, these are yummy.  Scrumptious.  Quick.  Kinda nutritious in that the fats are good fats, the cocoa has iron in it, the peanut butter has protein and caffeine is good all-around.  I could probably write off brownies as nutritious if you just give me a minute... nah, they're not!

Word of caution, these need to be stored in the fridge or freezer and eaten as soon as they come out and plan to lick your fingers - they melt very quickly once you touch them.  They were hard to photograph as I couldn't place them well.  I had to use tools like an egg turner and a butter knife.
Oh my!
In this candy, the chocolate and peanut butter are combined but you will still taste both, fear not.

Healthier Peanut Butter Cups
adapted from Healthy Indulgences
3 Tbsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp peanut butter (all natural or not)
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp cocoa
3/4 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp honey
about 12 granules of kosher salt

- set out about 12 tiny candy papers or line a small cookie sheet with plastic wrap
- smallest saucepan, melt coconut oil with peanut butter
- remove from heat, add remaining ingredients.  Stir with a spatula.
- taste, add more honey or PB if desired
- dribble into paper candy molds or pour onto cookie sheet
- freeze about 10 minutes to completely set.  If you used a cookie sheet, take it out a bang it on the counter to break it up, quickly pop it into a container or bag and get it back into the freezer or fridge.
- store them in the freezer or fridge, the fridge offers a fudgey texture.
Some things I'd like to try:
1) adding a few coffee granules to the chocolate (using no peanut butter) and sprinkle a couple on top of each morsel.
2) using crunchy peanut butter
3) adding some orange zest (and no PB)
4) drop a salt granule on top of each chocolate
5) add bacon
6) try broken up candy canes
7) try broken up pretzels or even chips

Here`s another quick fix using your favourite chocolate (you`ll probably use your chocolate chips) and nut butter.  Too quick and easy, careful now!
Have you any flavour combinations you'd like me to try and post my results (it's a sure thing I'm going to be playing with this recipe for quite a while, they're so satisfying)? 

6 comments:

  1. my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just put a batch in the freezer
    i'm never sure how my attempts are going to turn out

    quick question tho...
    if i wanted to use flavors of chocolate chips, would i just use the same amount of chips as there is cocoa in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can substitute the cocoa for flavoured chips. Don't put any oil in your mix to begin with and drizzle a little oil as needed while you mix it up. You may need only 1 Tbsp oil. Please let me know how this goes. If you'd like me to try it and get back to you, I can do that, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well i tried your recipe.
    i didn't mind the taste but found them abit bitter, the taste of cocoa overpowered the recipe and i could barel taste the peanut butter. thinking about trying it with chips instead. i'll let you know how they turn out.
    banana bread is in the oven right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica, sorry you found them too bitter for your taste. I can guarantee you you will find them awesome with your favourite chips, all you gotta do is melt 1 cup of chips with 1 Tbsp coconut oil and 1/4 PB (to your taste), let harden and you're done! Please let me know how it goes.

      Bet your house is smelling some good right now! Ahhhh.

      Delete
  5. can not wait to taste these when I get there. :)
    10 more sleeps.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete