Thursday 29 March 2012

Prep for Menu Planning

I'd like to address menu planning soon, well, in a little while.  I'm building the post a little at a time.

In the meantime, read this article.  It addresses some of the things I will be saying later on.  You can put it into practice by having a leftover smorgasbord supper one day.  Nothing goes beyond safe keeping time, in the fridge or freezer.  You have little bits of this, one piece of that hanging around in your fridge.  Give your pickiest eater first dibs, heat it all up and spread it on the table.  The fridge gets cleaned out, you get to put your plastic containers in circulation again, you've saved cooking a meal and saved money too.

I will be incorporating "cook once, eat twice" into the menu planning, but this is besides that and often isn't planned - there are just many little bits in the fridge and you're going to eat them instead of throwing them out.  Always keep in mind food safety though, if you're not sure, toss it.  Better safe than sorry.

Do you have any specific questions or issues you'd like me to address when I post about menu planning? 

If you'd like to do a bit more to prepare for this, start jotting down what you actually do eat (I keep track on my family calendar), ask and make a list of favourite meals the people in your family like (you might be surprised what some of the answers are, this is fun), and broach the subject of other members prepping, cooking and working with you in the kitchen.  No need to make changes yet, just bring it up and plant the seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment