Thursday 22 March 2012

Chowder - Corn, Potato and Bacon

There's nothing like a steamy, hot bowl of chowder to heat you up on a... sweltering hot... summer-like day... hmmmm. 

I didn't plan that one very well, did I?! 
Today was the second record smashing day, tomorrow it'll be slightly above normal - but what's normal anyhow?  (I think that's content for another blog entirely.  I could write that one too actually.)

Nonetheless, this is what I made for supper tonight and it was great.


BBQ may have been more appropriate or a cool, crisp salad, but I had a hankering for chowder.

This is the recipe I based supper on tonight, completely omitting the cream.  It was still delish.  I've included a second recipe that I have used many times with good reviews.  There is a link to a third recipe at a local (to me) site and the fourth is a site I refer to often. 

I usually add about a quarter of the volume of potatoes in sweet potatoes or carrots.

Recipe #1
Chowder like Gramma's (not either of my Grammas, just a generic Gramma)
adapted from AllRecipes
1/2 cup diced bacon
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups water
3 cups cream-style corn (note below)
2 tsp salt, pepper to taste
- in soup pot, cook bacon to crisp, but not burned (after coocking in the soup it will not remain crisp)
- add potatoes and onion, cook for about 5 minutes to a bit tender
- add water and corn, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer
- simmer about 20 minutes to potatoes are tender and then enjoy
- works well for leftovers and freezes well too though it is much creamier (mushier) after freezing but not in a bad way
Note: corn can be canned creamed corn or niblets or frozen kernels that you have puréed slightly with a hand blender or food processor
Recipe #2
Old Fashioned Corn and Potato Chowder
cannot remember source, it's been a while
2 1/2 c corn (canned or frozen)
2 c diced potatoes
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 c diced onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c boiling water
2 c hot milk
1 Tbsp flour, mixed with
1 Tbsp cold water
- combine in a large pot all ingredients except milk and flour/water
- cook to potatoes fork tender
- add mik and flour/water, stirring well
- bring to a boil and allow to cook for 10 minutes
- serve topped with chopped green onion and shredded cheddar cheese

Recipe #3
Fresh Off the Cob Corn Chowder
I have not tried it yet, but I fully trust her to send you the best.  Click here.

Recipe #4
Creamy Corn Chowder (vegan)
In case you've stumbled here and are embracing the vegan path, she won't steer you wrong.

The great thing about all of these recipes is I have found they can both be bulked up to increase the volume of soup made.  Add a couple of carrots or sweet potato or turnip or broccoli florets or frozen spinach.  Purée some cooked cauliflower and throw that in (about half cup to 1 cup). 

What would've been a better idea on a summer day in March?  What did you have today?

No comments:

Post a Comment