Saturday 4 February 2012

late-at-night cake for one

Sometimes, you just have to have chocolate cake.  Some of those times, it's 9pm and you're not going to bake anything; that's when you pull out this recipe for mocha microwave cake.  Oh yeah!

One-Minute Mocha Cake
(can be gluten-free!)
adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder
  • 3 tablespoons white flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon coconut or veg oil (or applesauce or mashed banana)
  • 2 tablespoons milk of choice
  • 1 Tbsp brewed coffee or espresso
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
The original recipe uses instant coffee granules if you don't have leftover coffee.

Combine dry ingredients and mix very, very well. Add liquid, stir, then transfer to a little dish, ramekin, or even a coffee mug. Microwave 45-50 seconds (or more, depending on how powerful your microwave is). If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to spray your dish first (and then wait for the cake to cool before trying to remove it).

If you're wary of consuming a minute amount of coffee that close to bedtime, here's another one that's just a chocolate cake.  I vote for not including the egg in it and it's a bit more fudgey. 
I've tried both recipes for about 55 seconds in my microwave and they've come out great most of the time - I have to admit, now and then it'll come out wet or rubbery, but I blame that on sloppy measuring.  When you're working with small quantities, it makes a difference when you round a teaspoon or measure flat like we were taught in Home Ec in high school.
If you're not lookin' for a chocolate fix at all (you're not a woman, are you?) check these out, I can't vouch for them though, I gravitate to the chocolate recipes. 
Pssst, I know you're reading my posts, why not say "hi!" or write a note here, I'd love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment