Sunday 5 February 2012

Chocolate pancakes

Do you have breakfast planned for tomorrow?  I almost always know what's for eats the next day when I go to bed the night before.  I love to have a meal plan and like to grocery shop. 

We're going to start our day off with a hot cereal.  It'll be mostly oats, with whatever grains are in the house thrown in there.  Tomorrow, it'll be oatmeal porridge with oat bran, flax meal, wheat germ, natural bran, and cream of wheat.  We'll top it with brown sugar or syrup and a drop of milk.  Mmmmm.

For our snack, morning or afternoon, I'm going to make chocolate pancakes.  I've quadrupled the recipe here and added an egg for good measure.  I have received two thumbs up from the big kid and the middle kids were too busy eating to talk, that's an approval if I ever heard one!


These could be made fat-free if you wanted, just use two egg whites and stick with the applesauce. 


Brownie Batter Pancakes
quadrupled the measurements in the link
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cocoa
1/3 cup sugar (or a bit less)
dash salt
big 1/3 cup applesauce (or oil, I used applesauce)
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 egg
1 cup milk
- Sift dry in a medium bowl.  Mix wet well, add to dry, mixing only to wet the dry ingredients. 
-Drop onto greased, hot pan (so a drop of water will dance on the surface).  Wait until the edges dry a bit and the top is pretty much covered in bubbles.  Flip.  Eat.  With butter or syrup or a dusting of icing sugar or Nutella, whatever your vice is.
** I noticed I had to turn the burner a little lower than usual to keep them from browning too quickly - instead of cooking them at 4.5 (out of 10), I ended up at a straight 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment