Thursday 9 February 2012

Peanut butter oat bran cookies

These cookies have travelled 1,870 kilometres.  They're THAT good.  Well, really I just missed a couple of friends that recently moved THAT far away and they just had a baby and I wanted to give them some Rana-lovin', if you know what I mean.  So, I shipped them some love-in-a-box.  They got a batch of these and some of my bestest brownies ever (which I just realized I haven't posted the post for yet, yikes, that's an important one!  I have made these brownies, like, a million times and this just happened to be the best batch ever and it went to them, I'm so happy about that.)

I didn't get a picture of them, but they were beautiful.  The dough rolled wonderfully into little balls that spread into perfect little circles.  Awwww.  These cookies don't spread much on the pan, so you can put them a bit close to each other and maximize your oven time.

You have been warned though: this is an AWESOME dough, make it just to eat the dough, maybe push a few chocolate chips in there, completely, utterly addictive (or just don't taste it, that's safe too, abstinence - yeah, right!).  I used half butter, half applesauce.  Next time I'll replace 1/3 cup of the flour with a mix of flax meal and wheat germ.  You could press a thumbprint and drop of Nanny's jam or any superior quality jam you have in your house.  Other add-ins to try include raisins, sunflower seeds, chocolate or carob chips.

Peanut Butter Oat Bran Cookies
½ cup margarine , melted
  • ½ cup white sugar
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 ½ cups oat bran
  • ¾ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
 
- oven to 350F
- mix melted butter/applesauce with sugars
- add egg, mix well
- stir in PB and vanilla, beat to smooth
- add remaining ingredients, mix well
- roll in tablespoon balls, place on ungreased cookie sheet
- bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown

EDIT: by the way, I didn't think these cookies were anything special once they cooled, but AFTER FREEZING they were great, bordering on awesome.  They also made a great stand-in for a graham wafer crust for a chocolate pie (more on that later, too),

2 comments:

  1. sounds great. I am going to try this with organic "nothing added" PB and let you know how it worked.
    your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI MUM! Thanks for leaving a comment and you know I'd love to know how that turns out. Natural PB's have a completely different texture than the ones with sugar added.

      Delete