Tuesday 17 April 2012

Coconut butter

I put my food processor to quite a test yesterday. 

I've been reading more blogs written by vegans and whole food and raw food eaters.   I hear about this coconut butter over and all the wonderful things you can do with it.  So, naturally, I wanted to try it.


The Ingredient

Now, normally you would have had coconut butter from a jar and then wanted more.  You go back to buy it and notice the price.  Then you say to yourself, "I can make this at home."  So you go home and try it.  It works and it's yummy. 

I didn't do it that way.  I read about other people loving a commercial coconut butter and I think to myself, "I can make this at home."  So I do.  I buy coconut and make coconut butter not knowing what I was aiming for or how good it can be.


Coconut before any whirring

My food processor whirred and whirred and whirred for 18 minutes straight (except for stopping to be scraped down).  Ho boy.

The results are granular, but I'm a chronic under baker and under processor so I'm not surprised nor disappointed.  Next time I'll let it go longer, I hope, so it can be creamy and irresistible.

Here is the recipe I followed to a "T".

Mine did not get as creamy as this one and not as liquidy as this one, but could have looked like this one with a bit more time.  Nonetheless, it is still delightful on toast (and a spoon).  I just microwave it for 30 seconds to soften it before I spread it.


On toast with real butter underneath and beside sunbutter.


Homemade Coconut Butter
from Oh She Glows
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (1 little bag)
- process in a food processor for about 20 minutes until a butter forms, scraping the sides of the bowl as often. Makes approximately 1/2 cup coconut butter.

As a variation, you can take 1/4 cup of coconut butter and add 1 Tbsp carob powder or cocoa powder.  Mmm

1 minute mark

3 minutes

6 minutes

8 minutes

11 minutes

15 minutes

18 minutes of whirring later, I stopped here.

I do feel I stopped early.  I may have been able to achieve a real smooth and creamy spread had I kept going. 

I will make this again using a different brand of coconut just to try it and using the smaller bowl of my food processor.

1 comment:

  1. Neat idea! I can only imagine how good that tastes, I <3 coconut!

    ReplyDelete