Saturday 16 June 2012

Table syrup - the best one so far

I love maple syrup.  The real kind that comes from maple trees that gets boiled down to a thick, molten heaven.

But here's the catch, it's pricey like liquid gold.

My family has a few breakfast items on rotation that they love to put syrup on so I just can't keep maple syrup in stock.  Instead, I make our syrup.  I know there's no corn syrup in it; today's news says corn syrup is just way bad for us and should be avoided like trans fats - any amount is bad, BAD.  No artificial colours or flavours, just sugar, water, cinnamon and homemade vanilla.  You can add some maple extract if you want, that's up to you; frankly, this recipe does not need maple extract, it's great without.

I have found the perfect syrup for our French Toast, which is what I served it on this morning.  The Middle Girl was licking her plate, like you'd imagine a cat licking a bowl of milk in the cartoons!  Maybe that's not good manners, but it speaks volumes for the product.

Homemade Table Syrupmakes about 2 ½ cups of syrup

3 cups brown sugar
1 ½ cups water
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla
- combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling starts, turn heat to low, and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from heat. Can be stored in fridge.

1 comment: