Wednesday 13 June 2012

Ricotta cheese

I've been making my own ricotta for a while now using the same recipe and I really enjoy it. 

I look back and realize I haven't shown you how I make it and enjoy it.

This is the inspiration and the recipe. 

I use my ricotta as is on bagels and toast, as an ingredient in muffins, spiced up a bit and as a layer in lasagna.

I honestly use whatever cow's milk product I have in the house.  Combinations of whole milk, skim, 10%, or 5% MF, it always "works out" and is always a treat.

Homemade Ricotta
from GOOP, makes about 2 cups
4 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons good white wine vinegar
- combine dairy products in a heavy-bottomed pot with salt and bring to a low boil over medium heat (don't turn it up to rush it, it may burn) stirring often, I use a whisk.  Line a colander with dampened cheesecloth and set over a big bowl.
- when it comes to a boil, remove from heat and add the vinegar with a quick stir.  Let sit 1 minute to curdle.
- carefully pour into cheesecloth-lined colander and let drain about 20 minutes.

Enjoy right away or store in the fridge for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment